Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Call of Duty: My Playstyle

Honestly speaking, I never really thought I'd ever get into a console FPS. I always thought it was more efficient and appropriate to play such games on a computer. And at the time, I was very much more into RPGs and action games. To think now that I often play FPS and not a lot of RPG anymore is quite an unbelievable matter to me. It's quite something.

Long story short, I would like to talk a little about my play style in Call of Duty games. I don't think that I'm an excellent player like SoW Aimbot. And I seriously doubt I could match SoW ScouT's decisive and precise tactic executions. But I'd like to think that I do good in my own way. And by that, I suppose I just do a little bit of everything. I do have my own tactics and techniques I use to maintain a slightly below average performance when it comes to playing these games and I'd like to share a few things about what I think contributes to how I play.

(Call of Duty is the FPS game I've played the most. And I still do.)

1. Play to die less. Not to kill more.Each time I hop in a non-objective oriented game type, I  do my best not to put this goal in my head. And that is to get as many kills as I can. More often than not, you will find yourself rushing and making these small mistakes that ultimately lead to bad decisions, which then causes you a bad game. The way I see it, it's much more important for me to get 10 kills and 1 death instead of 27 kills and 16 deaths, for example. And if you are careful enough because of this mentality, you could end up with scores like 30-2, 25-1, 22-1, etc. Of course, this does not apply for objective type games. I usually push the objective and make sure we successfully execute the goal for that game even if it causes me to die more than 10 times. I'll take the risks of dying if it meant I may be able to help capture, destroy or hold a point/objective. Slayers help the team, but those who play the objectives help way more. And I'd rather be that person who contributes directly to the teams actual mission.

2. Cover is essential.A lot of people neglect the importance of cover. Very often I see people die just because of such simple mistakes involving the proper use of cover. It is imperative that you try to always be behind cover whenever possible because it increases your chance of winning gunfights. The lower your profile, the harder it is for you to get hit. Always utilize your environment to your advantage. They can call it head glitching, I call it use of cover. Moving from cover to cover is as important as being accurate. Just like in real life, soldiers don't go running around in the open. You move from one cover point to the next while making sure you are alert during those high risk times in between covers. During those times, you are very vulnerable to a target that could all of a sudden pop out and catch you off-guard.

3. Know when to reload, know when to sprint and know when to fire.
Very often I see people reloading in the open. Or sometimes, they'd be behind cover and reload while moving away from it. Reloading puts you to a disadvantage against a hostile target that is already prepared to just ADS and pull the trigger. Always reload behind cover whenever possible and you'll save yourself from a few unnecessary deaths. Of course, there are times when you know it is safe to reload even when you're out of cover. But if you are well aware that you're in the kill zone or high traffic area, then you owe it to yourself to make sure you find a safe spot to reload your weapon.

Sprinting is a bad habit that a lot of the players have. A lot of deaths are probably from one's inability to return fire faster than usual because they were sprinting when the engagement initiated. It's usually a bad idea to sprint around corners, sprint when you're alone and there are still enemies alive and sprinting from cover to cover. But a lot of times, we think it is clear and to not sprint would be too slow. So we tend to sprint even if there's so much risk involved in it. I just try to find balance on whether I should run or not by assessment of how safe I think it would be. To me, this is very situational and involves map awareness to really utilize properly.

This one has got to be the worst. You shoot at someone without making sure you can get the kill. So you end up getting hit markers and sometimes, the target comes back to kill you instead. Or worse, kill another team mate. Capt. Price said in one of the missions for Modern Warfare 3, 'Only shoot what you can kill'.
And this is in fact very true and something we should all consider incorporating to our play style. However, the game being very twitch based, a lot of times we'd fire without really making sure we can kill them. And that's fine. I suppose a weakened enemy is better than a full health enemy. But it also gives away your position and alerts the target of your hostility. The best way in my opinion is to just don't pull the trigger if you think you'll just get hit markers and let the guy go. Unless you're running Recon or going for assists, I'd rather save my bullets and use them efficiently.

4. The ears that see.
There were times I was asked if I used motion sensors or how I knew the enemy was gonna be there. Well, there's no magic nor sorcery behind it, really. The things that make it possible for me to pinpoint enemy positions without seeing them are essentially my headset and directional hearing. If you have a decent headset that's at least stereo, you'll have an advantage against those that do not use them. I have a 5.1 Tritton AX Pro and it serves me well. One's directional hearing is important too. Even with a decent headset, if a player is not very observant and attentive, then it would almost be useless.

(Ninja [Pro] is probably the PERK that earned me my call-sign.)

5. Disturbed waters won't clearly reflect images.
In my opinion, this has got to be the one of the most important things, not just while playing the game, but in real life as well. When some players die, they get pissed or discouraged. Or sometimes, enemies would provoke them and they either get, well, once again, pissed off or discouraged. And in hectic situations when they are the last one alive, most players tend to get nervous and cause them to make bad judgments and decisions which ultimately lead to failure. A body of water, when stirred, will never reflect an image in front of it clearly. Just like how when we're nervous or angry, we may easily neglect certain engagement tactics and end up paying for it. And worse, making the whole team pay for it. The best way, at least to me, is to remain calm at all times. If you keep getting killed, being angry about it will most likely not help you either. If you're last one alive, it's most likely best to be more focused at this time and do your best to avoid the small mistakes that would end up in bad results. A clear mind and a still heart shall always prevail over those that are stirred and volatile.

______________________ _ _ ______ ___

Not really sure if that's all of them. But these are the first ones on top of my head that I can enumerate right off the bat. I'd like to think that these points I've written really do help me improve my game and provide me with a better and a more fun experience while playing. Of course, a huge factor that really contributes to how much fun you'd have is having friends to play with. I believe that pure skill is great and all, but even the skilled player that pay no attention or oblivious to some of these points can be easily dealt with by those that learn these disciplines. Of course, I'm not saying that these are the absolute way to be better in Call of Duty or other FPS games. All I'm saying is these will definitely help you, may you be a professional MLG gamer or a casual just dropping in from time to time to have some fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment