Sunday, March 25, 2012

Ouroboros

My last name isn't really, 'Ouroboros'. I'm sure that's an obvious one, however. And no, I didn't get it from Resident Evil 5. I encountered the word way back before this game came out. And when I first read it, I didn't even know what it actually meant. Years passed, and I decided to look it up to find out how relevant and meaningful it was to me. And so I made up my mind right then and there to pick it up and use it as part of my name. After all, it is not a good idea to be using your real name online.

The first time I saw the word was in a video game in the arcades. I believe it was from Marvel versus Capcom. It was one of Strider Hiryu's super moves.

(Strider Hiryu is fucking badass. Seriously.)

I was fascinated by the it and always wondered if it was a real word from an actual language. And when I did look it up, I found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros

To my own understanding, it represented self-cyclism and in another way, a symbol for always reinventing one's self until you are better. Devouring parts of yourself that are weak, to be reforged into a stronger and more resilient being. And given the experiences I have gone through in my life, I've always done the same thing. Of course, I didn't literally eat parts of my body. But I did attempt and have been doing some of my own 'reforging' and 'reinventions' to better myself for everytime I fall or fail.

(Up to this point in my life, I have been trying to devour corrupted parts of myself.)

Ouroboros was also something that I wished to have as a tattoo. There's quite a handful of illustrations and artwork involving this symbol online, but I just can't seem to find one that I fancy. And so I decided to design a rendition of it myself. A more simplistic and minimalist design, yet will have the necessary details to portray my understanding of myself and the image of the dragon eating its own tail. After gathering quite a few images to get ideas for my own version, I have come up with some aspects I'd like to include to it. But it seems laziness has once again struck me. I am yet to sit down and start drawing... Hehe.

I have succeeded in a few things in life, yet shortly after, I find myself plummeting down into sorrow and the path of self-destruction. For some reason, it seems my life has been nothing but a cycle of success followed by immediate failure. To which I have been enlightened as to how I may be experiencing this. just a few months ago. The 63rd I Ching Hexagram has shown me what I've been doing wrong through all these years. And I have learned so much about myself because of it, just like how I have related to the Ouroboros symbol. I've been so thankful and gratified, I even took those lines and had them tattooed on my forearm. Just like Storm Shadow from G.I. Joe. But that is a subject I will talk about some other time.

The Ouroboros, the 63rd I Ching Hexagram and how my grand father told me way back then that too much of anything is posion... I have been taught by all of these. Enlightened. And I'm glad they have crossed my path and became part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment