Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Good Heart

I was once told that I supposedly possessed a 'good heart'.
Never did I ever consider myself to be somewhat of a saint. No one is innocent and I have done a fair share of terrible things in my life. But I do have a good conscience and I'd like to think and believe that I do tend to be kind and respectful.
Maybe she was right, maybe she was totally wrong.

One night, when I was on my way home after work, I passed by the parking lot beside the building where I live. Nothing new there, just another night of going through this really dark area of Montreal.
It was getting colder. No snow yet, but a coat or a jacket was already a necessity. I wore my usual black half military style coat that I got from Urban Behavior.
While I was walking, just a few meters away from the building entrance, I saw these cats wandering and hanging out by the parking lot. I didn't know where they lived and if they were stray cats or not. All I know is it's friggin' cold and these cats are here outside the building with no shelter nor food. Nor water.

(I've always liked cats. Yeah, I like the pussy... Hehe.)

I looked at them as I walked, and they looked back. Staring at me eying me as I passed by. It was quite pitiful and I wish I could bring them home with me. But I also have a cat. And I don't know if these cats are sick or not. I cannot risk endangering my own cat's health just so I can help these little critters on the street. And so I have decided to do something about it... it was the least I could do.

At that time, my ex texted me asking me if I was home already. Because she wanted me to hop on SKYPE real quick to show me something. I rushed home and went through my cat's food, immediately. I texted her back to tell her that I was home already and that I'd be on in a few.
I hurried back down with some water and cat food... I opened 2 cans and left them in the parking lot. Then took off and watched the cans from the 2nd floor window, to make sure nobody messes with the food and that the cats really eat them.

It took a few seconds, maybe minutes before I saw one cat approach one of the cans. Then, followed by another two cats, the 2nd can was now getting taken care of. I watched them from the window and told myself that my cat is lucky. He has a home. And it may not be the best home out there, but it's better than not having any. It killed me to know what will become of these animals. Perhaps somebody else would take them and care for them. Maybe somebody would call the SPCA. I didn't though, coz I heard they put cats to sleep there.
Or maybe they'd get sick and eventually perish... Such is life. It could be the kindest and it could be the most cruel.

I went back downstairs to pick up the cans and throw them away.
Went on SKYPE and told her sorry for being late. And that I needed to do something real quick.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I know how that feels. Sometimes on the way to school, when I see one of the homeless people with their dog, sometimes I wonder if the dogs are being taken care of, somtimes I even wish I can give them 100$ or something. Or even ask if they are willing to let me take care of their dog. Thing is though, about the taking care of the pet part, I am also thinking, this person and the dog were probably together for some time now and created a bond and i dont want to break that also because they only have each other. So its really tough.

    ReplyDelete